Wednesday, August 26, 2015

at-home, natural pregnancy salve

So, the first thing I worried about when I got pregnant was, "oh my gosh, I don't want stretch marks!!" I immediately went out and bought every over the counter cream I could (mind you, I was 6 weeks pregnant... I didn't "show" until almost 21 weeks).

Anyway, I just didn't care for the stuff I bought so I made my own and I thought I would share! I love it and although it isn't cheap, I really think it works the best. Plus it's much more natural - I mean what mom-to-be wants to be putting a lot of chemicals on their tummy?!

First I will tell you what I used and why, and the recipe will be at the bottom.

Coconut Oil - When applied to the skin, coconut oil has a moisturizing effect. It sinks in deep, conditions, moisturizes, and softens skin. It isn’t pumped full of water or petroleum byproducts like many commercial cleansers or lotions either. Coconut oil naturally clears away dirt, grime, and dead skin cells. *

Tea Tree Oil - This essential oil is known for its uses as an antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiviral agent. But tea tree oil is also lesser known for its skin healing properties. Many users have reported that applying tea tree oil to scars and stretch marks on a daily basis works to reduce the appearance noticeably. **

Shea Butter - All all natural Vitamin A cream. It's great for dry skin, relieves itching, and has been shown to help with stretch marks.

Cocoa Butter - Is what the Palmer's brand uses as it's main "focal point." Provides extreme moisture and is said to help improve the elasticity of your skin,

Vitamin E Oil - vitamin E is an antioxidant that protects and repairs your skin. It helps support new skin cell growth and speeding up cell regeneration.

Beeswax - Helps heal damaged skin, restore skin's own elasticity, and keeps the skin supple. 


Ok, so I picked these as my base and I really love the outcome.



At-Home, Natural Pregnancy Salve
7oz of Coconut Oil (raw, refined, and organic)
.25oz of Tea Tree Essential Oil
1-2oz beeswax (I use beeswax mostly to thicken the mixture, so I don't have an exact measurement)
2oz Vitamin E Oil or BioOil
1oz Shea Butter
1oz Cocoa Butter


I placed all of the ingredients in a large mason jar, then placed the jar in a small pot of boiling water. I watched it carefully and made sure to stir it often. After all the ingredients had melted together, I poured the mixture into a heat safe tupperware bowl. *Tip: do the beeswax first, it takes longer to melt.*

The mixture last me about 2 months. I will warn you, because of the tea tree oil, it does have a strong oder but I actually have grown to love the smell. I apply it at night so that it can soak in over night. It is pretty oily, and you can add more beeswax to help cut that or add less Vitamin E. 









**Disclaimer** - I am not a doctor or nurse. I did research on natural things for skin and scars and this is what I finished with. I love it. Suggestions are welcome!**


* - more information - http://www.sunwarrior.com/news/is-coconut-oil-good-for-skin/
**Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/030419_scars_remedies.html#ixzz30bF3eNdI

No comments:

Post a Comment