I ordered my map from AllPosters.com. I spent probably an hour trying to pick one but I figured since they weren't that expensive I could always change my mind in the future. This is the one I got. As you can see, I paid $8.99 for it and it ended up being $14 with shipping. (I will add, USPS was not kind to my first map and it was slightly damaged. I contacted AllPosters and they had another one in the mail THAT DAY. There customer service is awesome!!)
Next, I hit up Hobby Lobby with my 40% off coupon and bought a cork board that was 36x24 (the same size as the poster). After the discount, I paid around $9! I also bought some Scotch 3M Spray Mount Spray Adhesive ($16 at Office Depot or you can use a different brand just make sure it is safe for posters/thin paper!).
I was off to work! It took about 2 days because of drying, but the actual application part was about 10 minutes! I was actually able to most of it by myself but the main squeeze had to help me hang it. :)
Here was what I did.
1. I rolled out my poster and laid the cork on it overnight to help flatten the poster.
2. I took the adhesive and sprayed one edge of the cork to use as my starting point. (photo #3)
3. After I secured the first edge and practiced rolling out the map a few times, I sprayed the entire board with the adhesive to build a "base coat."
4. Next, I started to slowing unroll the map, spraying more adhesive on the map/board as I went.
5. As I was rolling, I started to smooth out all the bumps and bubbles. I used the box the poster came in - it was the right height and worked well!
6. I spent about 5 minutes continuing to smooth out the poster and the make sure it was sticking.
7. I let it dry in front of a fan overnight.
8. I added our pins and screwed it to the wall! (bought mine for $8 off Amazon)
Ta da!! All for a total of $47!!
It would have been cheaper if I would have used a different adhesive or at least a coupon but that's ok!
I also used a Sharpie to color the tops of certain pins to designate where I have been, where the main squeeze has been, and where we have been together!
Here are some photos!
|I know it clashes with my table stuff, I am in the process of fixing that ;)|