Tuesday, May 28, 2013

city of sails

Auckland 
(Known in the native Māori language as Tāmaki Makaurau)

We had a morning flight to Auckland with a layover in Hawaii. In total, it was 16 hours (with layovers) to get from LA to Auckland. The flight from Hawaii to Auckland wasn’t even half way full so Vincent and I hopped over to the center seats and laid out.

We arrived in NZ at 11PM, which sucked but it was nice to see the city lights. The next morning walked up and down Queen Street before going to get our rental car (that we nicknamed Kiwi). We only spent the morning in Auckland before heading out. 

I have been to a lot of big cities but Auckland is unlike anything I have ever seen. It is hard to describe in words how neat and beautiful this city really is. I could never do it justice. 

Vincent did a wonderful job adapting to driving on the opposite side of the road. It was a little nerve racking at first but after a while it just seemed natural (thank goodness for Vince because I would have been a total wreck).

We hit the road to go to Hobbiton near Matamata – it was about a 2 hour drive, that turned into a 3 hour drive. No matter! We got there and I can’t wait to share the photos from Hobbiton on the next post!!


L.A. Post Here


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, I'm from Auckland - I was born and raised there. However, I currently reside in Hawai'i. I'm so glad that my home was welcoming to both you & your husband. I can't wait for the rest of your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved NZ and Auckland was awesome! :) I'm slowly getting them up and I hope you enjoy them!

      Delete