Thursday, January 24, 2013

southern sweet tea



So, apparently I make the BEST sweet tea. I’m not being vain, I have literally had 20 people say
my tea is delish. It took me a while to “find” the right way to make tea. I always felt like homemade tea just didn’t taste as good as it does in some restaurants (i.e. Chick-fil-a, Grouchos, Rushs – can you tell I’m from the South?)
I’ve given the recipe to a few friends and family and now I am sharing it with you!

What you need:
·         Medium pot
·         4 Tetley tea bags – round ones
·         1 ½ cups of sugar
·         Teaspoon of Baking Soda
·         1 gallon tea pitcher
·         water

Here we go:
1.       In a medium pot, fill ¾ of the way with water (mine is about 6 cups of water)
2.       Place 4 Tetley tea in the pot
3.       Bring to a boil and let it boil for about a minute.
4.       While you are waiting for the water to boil, put 1 ½ cups of sugar into the tea pitcher.
5.       Fill the pitcher with enough hot water to cover the sugar. Stir mixture to help the sugar dissolve.
6.       Take a teaspoon of Baking Soda and mix it with the sugar water.
7.       After the tea boils, remove from heat and set a timer for 20 minutes.
8.       After the timer goes off, pour the tea into the sugar mixture and stir well.
9.       Fill the rest of the pitcher with cold water and place in fridge!

 
_________________________________ 

Alternate way:
1.       In a medium pot, fill ¾ of the way with water (mine is about 6 cups of water)
2.       Bring to a boil and let it boil for about a minute.
3.       While you are waiting for the water to boil, put 1 ½ cups of sugar into the tea pitcher.
4.       Fill the pitcher with enough hot water to cover the sugar. Stir mixture to help the sugar dissolve.
5.       Take a teaspoon of Baking Soda and mix it with the sugar water.
6.       After the tea boils, remove from heat and transfer to a heat safe glass pitcher.
7.       Place 4 Tetley bags in the pitcher with the boiling water and set a timer for 20 minutes.
8.       After the timer goes off, pour the tea into the sugar mixture and stir well.
9.       Fill the rest of the pitcher with cold water and place in fridge!

For some reason transferring it to a glass pitcher to steep makes the tea taste amazing, but it’s another thing to get dirty and takes more effort.

Another thing: I got the Baking Soda tip from my grandmother. Her tea always tasted amazing and she said it was the Soda ;)


2 comments:

  1. I've seen the baking soda tip before, and just started using it myself. Don't ask me why I didn't think to ask you! I can't wait to drink some real Southern Sweet Tea next month!

    BTW: I pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. don't worry girl, I will have plenty for you! :)

      Delete