Wednesday, September 26, 2012

i hate acne



Raise your hand if you have acne? For real. Stick your hand up in the air!
Keep your hand up if you have tried:
ProActiv
skinID
Clinique
AcneFree
Differin
Accutane
Any antibiotics
Over the counter products
Any prescriptions


Keep your hand up if none of them worked.....

My hand totally stayed up. To say I have tried EVERYTHING for my acne would be the understatement of the year. I went to the extreme and used Accutane and it worked… for a little while.
I have had acne since I was 12 years old and since I’m almost 23, it really blows. Nothing can affect a girl confidence like terrible skin.
There are days that I literally cry about how awful my skin is and there have been times where I have taken an exfoliant and scrubbed like I was cleaning a very dirty pot. I have tried 5 different dermatologists and every time I leave one of their offices I am depressed. It sucks.
I have a VERY strict skin regimen and I never sway from it. I have always tried to take care of my skin so you can imagine the frustration I feel when I know girls with perfect skin and I knew they don’t wash their faces.
On top of that I am VERY fair. Like Porcelain, lightest make-up, I can see through you fair. So my scars are literally highlighted.
Anyway, I thought I would share with you the regimen I have been using and for the most part it works pretty great. I am not a dermatologist and don’t claim to be, I just want to offer another “hope” for those who struggle with acne.
One day, I started to think that maybe I was over treating my skin and should try to go more basic. I mean it can’t be good for you to literally be burning your skin with chemicals.

Every morning and before bed:
 I wash with an everyday, plain Jane, cleansing cream. I decided to go back to the basics. (CVS $4)

In the shower:
I use a “natural” exfoliant with acne meds in it (CVS $6)

During the day:
I use an oil-control light moisturizer that is formulated for acne prone skin. This little bottle costs $17 a pop but I love it and, to me, it is worth it. (CVS $17)


 Before bed:
I use a thick moisturizer meant for sensitive skin. Cetaphil is pretty basic and does the job. It is used for people with very sensitive and dry skin. It’s worth the money. (CVS $15)

After I wash my face at night:
I apply a benzoyl peroxide cream. I apply it to a clean, dry face and let it soak for a minute before I put on. (CVS $6)

I remove my make-up with these  pads. (Target $4)

As you can see, not all of my products are acne fighters. My mom always says that “more isn’t necessarily better” and I finally took her advice. It’s also important to note that EVERYTHING I use is Oil-Free.

For makeup, here is what I use:
Primer - Photo Finish in Light by Smashbox


Foundation - High Definition Healthy FX Foundation by Smashbox (has SPF & Oil free!)

Powder - PUR 4 in 1 Pressed Mineral Powder (I have been using this for over 4 years and love it)


When I don't feel like wearing anything heavy, I use Mary Kay's Tinted Moisturizer


For consealer, I use this stuff. It's ok. Haven't found something I love so this works


When I do wear blush it's usually the Pink Marble by Pur


Let me know if you know some great products I should try out!!!




Oh and here is a picture of me sans make-up. As embarrassed as I am to show the world this, I am happy with where I am at. My skin use to be a lot worse. I am trying to learn to love my skin... so far it's tough going. One day....

8 comments:

  1. Hi Mary!

    I just came across your blog from a pic on Pinterest- and it tossed me to your latest post, which I totally relate to! I had the most hellacious time with acne from about age 14 on, and did my rounds with dermatologists and antibiotics, Accutane, ProActiv etc...and it carried on through my 20's, until I finally found products that worked- and a ton of terrific information on how to help and be kind to my skin (and probably also the hormones finally started to wane!).

    Like you, I'm not going to pretend I'm any kind of expert on this, but I found www.cosmeticscop.com (www.paulaschoice.com) SO helpful- so much knowledge on skincare and what to look for and what to avoid in products, and her own line of products I've found to be just fantastic.

    But best of all, is the related site www.beautypedia.com which reviews almost all skincare and makeup on the market today, based on whether they do what they claim, if they might irritate etc, and basically makes it a whole lot simpler to figure out what you should buy!

    I feel like some paid pusher with my gushing, but it's the kind of thing that I so wish I had read/known about years ago, because while there is no miracle cure or product for acne, there is definitely a good, bad and ugly way to treat your skin, and it's such a relief to not have to keep guessing at what might work!

    I wish you all the best- and thanks for such an interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing JimmyJane! I am going to check out the sites because the more the better. Acne really is such a sucky thing. I appreciate your fed back and I hope to see you around my blog again! :)

      -ML

      Delete
  2. Hi! Great site! I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link to my website. I'd really appreciate if you could email me back.

    Thanks and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann,
      I don't see your email either but you can email me at mltd54@aol.com

      Delete
  3. Hi Mary,
    I happened to stumble across this site while saving pics of the products I use. Cetaphil is my go to brand because I did the same thing and decided to go back to the basics. I will admit I'm fortunate enough to have grown up without acne that is until about three years ago. Around that same time my skin became allergic to everything. I'm 27 now and the only thing I can come up with is that my hormones are raging to reproduce. I have not found a make-up brand for foundation but I'm going to give Smashbox a try! Thanks for the info... I have a good feeling about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for the slow reply!

    I love Smashbox. I really think it's a decent product (oil free! :)

    Thanks for reading!!

    ML

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really it is nice post, The post is clearly highlighting the values of law. It is now being necessary for all of us to understand law and its values.click here |about website |web site

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great post ! it was very informative. I look forward in reading more of your work. Also, I made sure to bookmark your website so I can come back later. I enjoyed every moment of reading it.how does raspberry ketones work |does raspberry ketones really work |raspberry ketone reviews

    ReplyDelete