Monday, July 16, 2012

birthday board

Time for another Pinterest try!

This one actually turned out pretty great in my opinion!

Here  are the two I found (here and here). They were actually some of my very first pins!

My nanny had mentioned a while ago that it is hard for her to remember how old everyone in the family is (especially the great-grandkids). My sister and I make her a calendar every year but I was thinking that it wouldn’t hurt to make a more permanent one!


NOTE TO MY FAMILY – SHE HASN’T SEEN IT YET. DON’T SPOIL THE SURPRISE!!!! If you do and I find out, I will hunt you down and tickle you to death. I'm just sayin'! You've been warned! ;)  (I'm giving it to her after she gets back from Seattle..)

The break down:
I got a piece of wood from my work (it's actually a piece of wide molding!)
The grey paint was $1 from Lowe’s – it was one of those “oops” paints on clearance
The hooks were $3 from Lowe's
The wooden pogs are from Hobby Lobby – they were $3 for 22, I bought two bags
White, yellow, black, and teal paint pens - #3.50 each from Hobby Lobby
Jump rings – in the jewelry department at Hobby Lobby $4
TOTAL: $28

Steps: (sorry, I slacked and didn’t take photos… don’t hate!)
1.       I painted the wood. I choose flat wall paint because it’s easier to write on and I didn’t want it to be glossy.
2.       My board was 30 inches, so I did each hook 2.5 inches apart.
3.       Vincent used a drill bit to make the initial hole and I screwed the hooks in by hand.
4.       After I painted all the pogs, Vincent used a smaller bit to drill holes at the top and bottom of each pog.
5.       I carted the whole thing to my moms… she has much prettier hand writing. We used stencils that she had and traced “FAMILY.” She then free-handed the word “birthday” and all the names and dates on each pog.

That was pretty much it. I mean it took a few hours and lots of laughs but I think it turned out great!

I added two extra blank pogs for future use - one at the beginning of January (that says “family” with a heart) and the other at the end of December (that says “etc”).

I also included my dad’s birthday. He was a part of our family for over 25 years and he deserves to be on there.  (C. Allan Tinsley 1.9.54 – 2.24.00)

Hope Nanny likes it!!!

 
See- my mom's handwriting is beautiful!!


My dad

'
Don't forget to follow me!
And please "like" me ;)


8 comments:

  1. Love this MaryLouise! I saw the pin but didn't realize it was yours until I arrived at your blog! I'm getting ready to go explore the rest of your posts! (kim sanders)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha Pinterest is an amazing little site! Enjoy the rest of the blog :)

      Delete
  2. Hi I am into family trees etc. I really like this page. thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! My nanny loved it because she can see all the birthdays at one time and not miss any :)

      Delete
  3. That is really a cute idea, would make cute Christmas gifts,I may have to try one and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't too hard to make... hope it works for you!! :)

      Delete
  4. Love this! What size wooden pogs and jump rings did you use? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to admit but I did it so long ago I don't remember! Ack!!
      I'm pretty sure the pogs were 2in. I just "eye balled" the rings. They were about the circumference of a dime. I hope that helps!

      Delete