Thursday, June 7, 2012

high pass to sharpen photos

I’ve been behind the lens for a while now. I always had a camera on vacations and just hanging out with friends (side note- found photos from 8th and 9th grade… weirddd). I used my dad’s Olympus 35mm in my high school photography class which is where I fell in LOVE with the dark room. I was dating Vincent at the time and he would get so aggravated because he would literally have to drag me out. I loved the dark room, and love is putting it mildly. I rocked the dark room and I was a stand out in the class (I know, sounds conceited… but I was ;) . Then I went digital. Oh-em-gee.
My mom bought me my first dSLR in 2007. I got it because I ranked high enough in my class to be a Junior Marshall so she got it for my hard work... and because I was going to Europe... ;) My D40 was wonderful and over the last few years I've wondered up at a D700. Love it!
I knew Photoshop basics but not a whole lot to get me anywhere. I started Callan Tinsley Photography in August of 2008 and I am finally feeling like I am going somewhere. I mean, I haven’t done as many sessions or weddings in the last year but editing wise I am slowly becoming more comfortable. SLOWLY.
Anyway- one of the newest techniques I have been using is the High Pass filter. When a photo needs to be sharpened, it’s easy to use the Sharpen filter but I just feel like detail is compromised. I really like using High Pass.


Here is a step by step process of using it:
-          Open the image you want to edit
-          Right click on the background layer and create a “Layer from Background” – which I will call Layer A


-          Right click on the new layer and create “Duplicate Layer”


-          Click the new duplicate layer(Layer B) and go to filters


-          Scroll down to “Other” and click “High Pass”
-          This will pop up


-          Adjust the radius pixels. I typically stay under 2.5. The higher you go the more detail you will get but it will start looking like a lithograph or something instead of a photo.
-          Click “OK”
-          Make sure Layer B is selected, and change the layer style to “Overlay.”



I tend to click between the new image and original to make sure it is what I want. If it is I flatten and save :) Here is a close up.


It is helpful with over exposed images too.
(NOTE: this is actually a JPEG file, works great with RAW too! :)
Hope it helps!

(some quality has been lost in the conversion and upload. Try the technique out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment