Thursday, June 7, 2012

here's to four and many more


Four years ago today, in 100 degree South Carolina humidity, we said “I do.”
 Oh-my-lanta! Seems like forever ago, but at the same time like it was last week. The last four years have been incredibly insane and ridiculously blessed.
Vincent has assured me many times that he reads my blog, so today, I have decided to embarrass him and write an open love letter. And since he never comments on what I write... I will just have to trust and assume he will read this. (this is not a test.... or is it...? ;)

Get ready babe, ‘cause you know I’m not the mushy type normally but I can be ;)

Vincent,
I can’t believe it has been four years already! And it’s been a wild ride.
I know I’ve said it hundreds of times, but I never thought that that cute boy I first saw at a birthday party in 2005 would become a Marine, and that Marine would become my husband. It’s amazing how things can just fall into place.
 I think about all the things we have been through since we have been together and it amazes me. It sometimes seems unfair that we have had to go through so much in such a short amount of time but I am always reminded that God will not give us more than we can handle. I know there have been times where we both feel exhausted – mentally and emotionally, in our relationship and with others – but when we said our vows, I know both of us meant every word. For better or for worse.
I know I can be very scatter brained and I lose my patience quickly, but you have been my rock through everything. Even after your accident, I felt like you were carrying me. In times of confusion, frustration, or fear you have always been a steady source of quiet reassurance. You have been my balance.
I am so grateful for all you have given me and how much you love me.  I truly never thought I would be able to let anyone in after my dad’s death, especially a man. Then you came into my life. I know I had my guard up and I know I didn’t make it easy to love me but you stuck around… and I did too. I knew you were something special. You push me, frustrate me, and challenge me. You support me, love me, and make me want to be a better person. You are my better half.
Thank you for dealing with my bizarre food cravings, cleaning OCD, and tendency to never shut up. Thank you for working hard every day to provide us (and one, or kids) a better life. Thank you for pushing me to do things I don’t want to do (even though, yes sometimes you don’t succeed). Thank you for having patience with me when you are teaching me something new (baseball… bowling… golf…). Thank you for loving my family as your own and for welcoming me into yours. Thank you for loving me at my best and more importantly for loving me at my worst. (And thank you for not getting mad at me for writing all this one here! love youuu ;)
Through all the good times and bad times, here’s to four and many more.
I love you Vince.

No comments:

Post a Comment