Friday, April 20, 2012

feelin' crafty

The other day I was feeling crafty. It happens often. I just get this itching to make or do something DIY and I go in all gung ho. Then when I’m done I’m usually like, “well that rush didn’t last long.” ((insert sad face))
Anyway. I have been collecting glass jugs and jars for a while now to put on top of my kitchen cabinets. It’s a little all over the place but that’s ok- if I like a piece I buy it! I mean you can go to Marshalls or Ross and get some great glass for under 5 bucks! Rock on!
My mom showed me the painted milk jugs a while ago and never really got inspired… and then the other day I did. So I ran to TJ Maxx and bought two pieces of glass. Then I used regular ole paint ($0.67 a bottle!) to paint the insides. The mint green one of the left cost under $3 to buy and paint and the peach one was only $5. The two on the end are from time Vincent got me flowers :)

All I did was take the paint, add a little water so that it wasn't as think, and poured it in the vases. I had to shake and smack the paint around to make sure it coated all of it. I did use a small paint brush to touch up the tops.  (Please excuse the mess in the background).
I also wanted to make a fun candy dish. I saw this post on Pinterest and was like “oh fun!” Well the directions are in a different language and I don’t know how to change it so here’s my version….
-Buy those annoying little beads. I found mine at Hobby Lobby in the kids craft section.
-Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
-Use an oven-safe bowl (I used a small Pyrex bowl) and coat it with oil (I used veggie oil ;).
-Pour some of the beads in the bowl and simply press them down to get one layer of beads (trust me it’s easier than you think!).
-Place the bowl in the oven for 15 minutes.
-Remove and let cool. I will admit I am impatient so after about 5 minutes of cooling, I stuck with bowl under cool water.
Then viola! I was actually able to make three of them :) I have one on my desk at work and gave one to my sister and the other to a buddy at work.

Oh and bonus: I told Nanny about my new obsession with brooches so she gave me three of hers! Two are more recent (I think) and then one is an antique! (squeal!) Here’s the one I wore today.

And so you can see how an older tradition can be made modern, I have included the oh-so-tacky bathroom mirror photo (don’t judge!). I’m wearing a chambray shirt (which are pretty hot right now) that I got for $6 at Ross, black leggings (petite, $25 at Macy’s), brown belt from Francesca's for $20, and these awesome shoes my mom got me from Burks Outlet:

(And in case you are wondering, my cell phone case was $7 from TJ Maxx - I love me some TJ Maxx!!)Have a great weekend!!! I am shooting a wedding tomorrow so it's gonna be all good ;) 

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! I saw you'd pinned the bowl and I definitely want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a lot of fun! You can make like 3 or 4 :) Plus they are pretty!

      Delete