Thursday, January 19, 2012

good for you

I want to tell you guys about a phone call I got last night. It was right about 5:30, I was just getting of work when my step-dad called. He said someone wanted to speak to me- which instantly made me nervous. The voice that came on the other line was that of my oh-so-awesome Nanny. You could tell by her tone she was excited and she asked me “Guess what I did today!?” My first reaction was to say, “I don’t know… you went sky diving?” (which for the record she totally understand my humor and would have gotten the joke). She then proceeded to ask me what was something she really needed? Again, me and my sarcastic butt thinks – Nanny you are 83 years-old what on earth do you need??

Then it hit me.

She bought herself a brand new, hot off the lot, Jeep Compass. And she was over the moon with excitement. And I was equally as excited for her. Who cares if buying a brand new car “isn’t a wise investment” or that is “looses value the minute you drive it off the lot?!” She is 83 years old and she wanted a new car. GOOD FOR HER. My grandma is finally living life without any worries. If she wants it she buys it. If she wants to do it she does.

You see, my Nanny has lived through the Great Depression, six wars (don’t quote me – I suck at math and history ;), a not-so-super marriage to a soldier with severe PTSD, and raised four kids (6 if you include my sister and me). She’s seen a lot. She’s been through struggles and gone without. And she is also the most selfless person I have ever met. She’s had a hard life.

When I say she is selfless I mean that in all its meaning. She will give you the shirt off her back if you needed it. She took care of my grandfather full time up until last year (the only reason she put him in a nursing home was because she was having a hard time picking him up if he fell. She’s 83!!!! I have a hard time picking him up and I’m 60 years younger). She gives of her time and money and expects nothing in return. She is always there for me when I need to rant (God bless her for that) and she is always willing to hang out with me :)

She is interesting, confusing, and impressive all at once.


But the most remarkable thing about her is her faith. Through all the trials she has remained a avid believer. She has always told me to “get the devil off my shoulder” when I’m in a grouchy mood and she has always told me to “get on my knees and pray.” As a person that has struggled with their faith, it is beyond fascinating how faithful she is.

She has always told me that Psalms 121 was her favorite passage and it totally fits everything she believes.

“I will lift up my eyes to the hills—
From whence comes my help?
My help comes from the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.

He will not allow your foot to be moved;
He who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, He who keeps Israel
Shall neither slumber nor sleep.

The LORD is your keeper;
The LORD is your shade at your right hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day,
Nor the moon by night.

The LORD shall preserve you from all evil;
He shall preserve your soul.
The LORD shall preserve your going out and your coming in
From this time forth, and even forevermore.”

She is the most beautiful person I have ever met and I almost feel guilty for having such an amazing woman in my life. As if I don't deserve her or something but at the same time I know God put her in my life for a very specific reason and I am forever grateful. (BTW: Everyone should have someone like her in their lives and if they don’t they are sorely missing out.)



Anyway. She is picking me up tomorrow, in her new Jeep, and we are going to lunch. I’m excited to see her in her new car and I just might have to help her pick out a cute steering wheel cover or sticker to put on the back.

2 comments: