Friday, January 20, 2012

apple tarts

For the first year and a half of our marriage, Vincent cooked every meal. He would go to work at 5AM come home and cook us dinner. I wasn’t working. Now, it wasn’t because I can’t cook or read a recipe, it was just a rhythm we fell into and quite frankly he enjoyed cooking and was better at it. My mom and my nanny are phenomenal cooks so you think I would have picked up a few things along the way? Nope.


It wasn’t until 2009, when I was 19 years old, that I cleaned and cooked a piece of chicken. GROSS. To this day it still grosses me out.

Well after Vincent got hurt it was either go broke from eating out, get fat from eating frozen meals every day, or I suck it up and learn how to make some meals. Option C it was.

Now, I’m pretty good. I am no Rachel Ray or Emeril to say the least but considering where I started and where I am today, I’d say I’m pretty good. When I prepare a new dish, I typically coax my brother-in-law and sister over to be my guinea pigs. Typically they tell me it was good – not sure if it’s because they mean it, don’t want to hurt my feelings, or were just happy not to cook.

My repertoire of meals is growing every month and my ability to whip stuff up from nothing is pretty cool!

For example: The other night we had sweet potato mash, baked mozzarella zucchini bites on wheat crackers, and a tuna crostini (which is an Italian appetizer consisting of small slices of grilled or toasted bread and toppings). Why the weird combo? Well the sweet potatoes and zucchini were about to go bad and we needed to eat some kind of meat and tuna was easiest! I’m so crafty ;) Two years ago, I would have had Vincent pick up Chinese.

Last night I made apple tart/pie/cake bite thingys. I have no idea what to call them. It was a mixture between a crumb cake and apple pie. They were SO yummy. I got two thumbs up from my sister, bro-in-law, step-dad, mom, and husband so I figure I wasn’t the only person that enjoyed these little things.

I made 2 variations (one I used a pre-made graham cracker pie crust) but here is the one that was made completely from scratch (meaning it didn’t have the crumb topping that I bought at the store or the pre-made pie crust ;) Oh did I mention the dough was from scratch and I made it up as I went?! Whoot whoot! It’s super easy. I mean I made this up in like 5 minutes so it’s obviously pretty simple and based on what the average person has in the kitchen.

I wish I would have taken step by step photos but too late.

Apple Pie Tarts1 large apple (and I mean large. If you need to get 2 medium ones that’s cool too ;)1 – 1.5 cups of flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
(I used granulated because we were out of brown, totally trying brown sugar next time!)1 Tablespoon melted butter
2 Tablespoon of milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon of olive oil
Dash of baking powder
Cinnamon sugar


1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Thinly slice the apples. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and set aside
3. Mix together flour, sugar, butter, milk, vanilla, baking powder, and olive oil. If the dough it too sticky add more flour, if it’s too dry add more of one of the liquids (I added more oil to mine).
4. Take a golf ball size amount of dough and roll it out into a pretty little circle
(I actually used a Tupperware lid to smash mine down :)5. Flower/oil a cupcake tray. Place the circles into the tray (the same way you would place dough for a pie).6. Fill with apples, sprinkle more cinnamon sugar if desired, and a little bit of butter on top (add brown sugar too! I think that would be yummmmy!)7. Stick in the oven for 25-30 minutes
8. ENJOY! :)

This recipe yielded 6 tarts. Let me know if you try it and liked it too!




No comments:

Post a Comment